Cyprus – Update on COVID-19 Restriction Measures
The spread in the community was assessed and taken into account, as well as the risk of specific activities, where there is an increased risk of high spread of the virus.
Specifically and analytically, the measures are categorized into three groups as follows:
Category A. Medium-term measures in force on a nationwide basis for the period from 5 November 2020 until 15 January 2021:
- The regulation for the operation of closed and open cinemas, theaters and showrooms with a completeness of 50% of their capacity continues to apply;
- It is permitted to organize conferences, assemblies and/or events in conference interiors with a maximum number of participants of 250 people, in compliance with the protocol and the measure for keeping a distance of 3 sq.m. per person, regardless of the square meters of each property. It is not allowed to stop for a break or to offer coffee/snacks/cocktails during the event.
- Beverage and food retail companies (supermarkets, mini-markets, butchers, etc.) and pharmacies from the beginning of their operation until 9 am. and from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. serve only people over 65 and people with disabilities.
- The use of a mask by the general population, aged 12 and over, becomes mandatory indoors and outdoors, in accordance with the instructions issued by the Ministry of Health.
- Regarding the organization of weddings and baptisms from 13 November 2020 until 15 January 2021, cocktail parties and congratulations on weddings and baptisms are prohibited. Only physical presence at lunch or dinner is permitted, with a maximum of 150 people in attendance. It is understood that the maximum number of persons per table cannot exceed 6 people.
Category B. Extraordinary measures in force on a nationwide basis for the period from 5 to 30 November:
- The presence of persons in gatherings, in houses and in public gathering places is allowed, with the exception of the dining areas, with a maximum number of gatherings of 10 people per house/group, including minors.
- The operation of the dining areas is allowed until 10:30 in the evening. Dining areas include restaurants, restaurants within hotels and other tourist accommodation, restaurants within malls, department stores and malls, taverns, cafes, pizzerias, pubs, snack bars, bars, cafes, and dining areas within canteens and/or sports clubs, cultural clubs, clubs, associations, etc. It is clarified that the above areas may provide home delivery services after 10:30 pm. The restaurants in Larnaca and Paphos Airports are excluded from the ban.
- The maximum number of persons allowed to be served in the catering establishments is fixed at 75 persons indoors and 150 persons outdoors.
- The maximum number of persons per reservation/table/group in restaurants, cannot exceed 6 people.
- Any movement by individuals is forbidden from 11 pm to 5 am the next day, except for emergency medical reasons (from/to pharmacy, hospital) or for work purposes, with the presentation of a relevant certificate or evidence.
- The ecclesiastical and other forms of religious worship in churches, mosques and other religious places, as well as religious ceremonies, are performed with a maximum number of persons of 75, in accordance with the protocols that apply to the religious worship places.
- It is allowed to hold games in sports facilities, in the context of sports championships, without the presence of audiences, provided that the relevant protocols are observed.
- The operation of playgrounds is allowed, with a maximum number of 50 persons, in closed playgrounds and 150 people in open playgrounds, observing the measure for distance at the base of the square meters of each space. It is understood that it is not allowed to organize events in playgrounds (e.g. children’s birthday parties) for more than 10 people per event, including children.
- It is forbidden to use dressing rooms inside gyms.
Category C. Extraordinary measures in force in the Limassol and Paphos Districts for the period from 5 to 16 November:
Due to the deteriorating epidemiological picture and the increased epidemiological burden that is still being chronicled, and after taking into account the latest data showing that for the period 17-30 October in the Limassol District the cumulative effect is 420 people per 100,000 and the cumulative effect in the Province Paphos is 294 people per 100,000, which they demonstrate almost a tripling number compared to the previous fortnight under consideration, in addition to the measures in force on a nationwide basis, the following was decided:
- All sport groups and social activities of children under 18 years old are prohibited (e.g. football, dance, swimming, martial arts, theater, choir, etc.).
- Athletes sports championship matches under the age of 18 of the teams, whose seat is in the Districts of Limassol and Paphos, are prohibited. For example, if a team based in the District of Limassol or Paphos competes with a team from the District of Nicosia, the match is postponed until the end of the measures.
- The operation of all playgrounds, open and closed, is suspended.
- The operation of gyms is suspended.
In addition, with the main aim of reducing the number of employees and, consequently, limiting their exposure to the virus in the workplace and maximizing the protection of their health, it is recommended to adopt a series of practices, such as the following:
- Telework/work from home where possible (for example, cyclically in a significant percentage of 30-50% of the total staff, etc.) with priority given to people belonging to vulnerable groups of the population.
- Separation and grouping of staff, so that they do not have contact with each other, with different hours during the day or with circular hours, different workplaces or otherwise.
- Separate staff/group breaks and avoidance of common break areas.
- Remote meetings and teleconferences and limit as much as possible the number and length of visit of external visitors.
To this end, in consultation with the Ministries of Health and Finance, the Department of Public Service and Personnel prepares relevant arrangements for the Departments / Services, so that persons who fall into the categories of citizens with risk factors for serious illness from COVID-19 and come in contact with the public or housed in an office with more than one person and there is no possibility of keeping the appropriate distances, to be able to carry out their work in an individual workplace. In the event that such an arrangement is not possible, then such persons will be able, with the approval and in full consultation with their Supervisor, to perform remote work, where the nature of the work allows it, alternately and to the extent that will not exceed 50% of the individuals belonging to the vulnerable groups for each Service.
For any further guidance regarding this procedure or if you require an initial consultation, please do not hesitate to contact our Law Firm at email@example.com, , +357 22 251 777 or +357 25 261 777 or please visit our office in Nicosia or Limassol.